Time: 1 Day
Skill level: easy, just takes to time for the water to freeze.
- Disposable Plastic Gloves
- Twist Ties or Tape
- Small Halloween Theme Items (small enough to go into the gloves and then freeze)
- Food Coloring
- Table Salt
- To start, have your preschooler age grandchild fill the surgical glove with their favorite (small) Halloween-themed items! Have them drop the items into the gloves and work them down into the fingertips. Grandpa Tip: be careful not to puncher a hole in the glove!
- Fill the gloves 3/4 of the way with water, and add a few drops of food coloring. Grandpa Tip: There can be a lesson in color mixing here! If you don’t have orange food coloring at home – add a few drops of yellow and red to one glove to make it!
- Give each glove a twist and secure it tightly with a twist-tie or some house tape. Grandpa Tip: The water will not leak if you twist the top of the glove tight.
- Give the hands a little shake to distribute the food color evenly throughout the glove (to be safe, you might want to do this over the sink).
- Place the gloves on a cookie sheet and pop the whole thing into the freezer. Prepare to let the gloves sit in there for one full day.
- A day later, take the gloves out of the freezer and careful remove the plastic surgical glove. Grandpa Tip: Grandpa, you will need to this step and try hard not to brake the fingers off.
- Next, round up an interesting collection of tools and instruments for the children to melt the ice and dig for their Halloween treasures. Try these spooky ideas – colored salt (several spoonful’s of salt mixed with a few drops of food color), syringes and medicine droppers, pate knives, small spoons, wide paint brushes, large shallow storage container & a bowl of water.
- Sprinkle the salt, pour the water, chop, scrape & scrub away to reveal your Halloween treasures!
This is a wonderful activity you can do with your preschool aged grandkids. It's a nice way to teach them about how water freezes when it reaches 32° or below. You can then show them how mixing a little salt and water allows the frozen hand to thaw quickly and reveal the small Halloween items.
This preschool activity is a perfect way to start teaching stem. Your grandkids will learn how to freeze an item at 32° or below and then you can teach them how salt and water mix together can act as a fine.
| Posted on February 16 2023